This tutorial shows how to draw a burger on a bun with some common toppings. It consists of a total of nine simple steps.
In this drawing the burger toppings will include cheese, a tomato slice and pickles. The patty itself will be sitting on top of some lettuce. You can see the order in which the different item will be added in the image above.
Please note that you may need to erase small parts of the drawing in a couple of the step (when adding the pickles and lettuce) so start the tutorial in pencil. Keep your lines light until you are nearly done with step eight. You can darken them right before coloring.
Step 1 – Basic Bun Top Drawing
Start by drawing an outline of the upper half of the burger bun. Give it a rounded top and make the bottom flat.
Step 2 – Draw the Tomato
Below the upper half of the but draw a large slice of a tomato. From this angle it’s shape will look similar to a really long rectangle. Make it just a tiny bit thicker on one side so that the burger doesn’t look too symmetrical.
For drawing a whole tomato see:
Step 3 – Draw the Patty
Below the tomato add the burger patty. Draw each of it’s sides slightly uneven and make it narrower towards the end where the tomato slice is thicker.
Step 4 – Finish the Outline Drawing of the Burger
At the bottom of the burger add the second half of the bun. Draw it’s lower end slightly rounded, it’s top end will be defined by the shape of the burger patty.
Step 5 – Draw the Pickles
Sticking out from below the top bun draw the outlines of some pickles. You can erase a little bit of the tomato to add in the ones on the sides.
For drawing a cucumber see:
Step 6 – Draw the Cheese
On top of the burger, coming out from below tomato put a slice of cheese. Draw it’s tips curving downwards to show that it’s melting.
Step 7 – Finish Drawing the Toppings
Erase a little bit of the drawing between the burger and the lower half of the bun to add the lettuce. Give it a wavy uneven outline that stretches for the entire length of the bun and sticks out a little bit on the sides.
Step 8 – Draw the Details
For this last stage of the line drawing add the small details as follows:
- Sesame seeds on top of the bun
- Lines on the pickles to show the thickness of the slices
- A broken up line on the cheese slice to show it’s thickness
- A few horizontal wobbly lines on the burger to give it some texture
- Some random wavy lines along the lettuce to show it’s folds
After you are done adding the above go over your drawing with either darker pencil lines or a black marker or pen.
Step 9 – Finish the Burger Drawing
To finish the burger drawing give it some color. A few good options for doing this can be colored pencils or water based paints. You can also mix and match different mediums.
Color as follows:
- Make the bun a light orange/brown
- Make the sesame seeds a light orange/yellow
- Color the skin of the pickles a darker green and a the inner sides a light green
- Fill the tomato with red but leave a few small white spots to one side for reflections (makes it look shiny)
- Make the cheese a yellow
- Color the burger patty brown
- Make the lettuce green
Once done coloring you should have a finished drawing of a burger. Hopefully you’re happy with how it turned out.
This tutorial shows a simple step by step approach to drawing a burger. It’s also done in a way where you can leave out any toppings that you might not add.
If you enjoy these types of drawing guides you should also try some of the following:
- How to Draw a Shovel Step by Step
- How to Draw a Pizza Step by Step
- How to Draw a Doughnut Step by Step
- How to Draw a Bagel Step by Step
- How to Draw a Croissant Step by Step
- How to Draw a Cracker Step by Step